What happens if I don’t have a will?

The court will appoint a personal representative for the estate, and your assets will pass by intestate succession.

What is intestate succession?

It is the distribution of a family member’s property according to the laws of Colorado applied when the deceased has not executed a valid will. It makes no provision for step-children, pets or charities.

Can my will name the personal representative?

You may nominate your personal representative in your will. Upon application by the nominee, the court will appoint them if they are qualified. Please see us for an appointment to discuss the qualifications of the personal representative.

Who will raise my children if both parents die?

If you fail to name a guardian, then the court will do it for you, based on what it deems to be in the best interest of your child. Please see us for an appointment to discuss the qualities of the guardian.

Who will manage my children’s money if both parents die?

If you prepare an estate plan, you can create trust, wherein you name a Trustee who will manage the children’s money. You can determine when and under what circumstances it will be paid to them or for their benefit. Please make an appointment to discuss with us the qualifications of a Trustee.

Get the Help You Deserve

Our attorneys work for your benefit, providing legal representation and drafting documents such as wills and trusts to make future planning easier for everyone. Call us today for a consultation.